If you ask me, potatoes are the ultimate side dish. They’re starchy and filling, they complement almost any flavor and you can make them about a million different ways. Let’s hear it for the potatoes people.
This recipe is just one of the many ways I love to enjoy a spud. This Warm Potato and Green Bean Salad is colorful, flavorful and has a unique little kick to it. It’s made with Yukon gold potatoes, which get so fluffy and buttery when they’re cooked. There’s also fresh cut and sautéed green beans, which add color and freshness and truly justify me calling this a salad.
The recipe also calls for some fresh herbs, a splash of vinegar, and a little bit of curry powder to spice things up. The salad doesn’t end up tasting overly of curry, but it adds the perfect little kick of earthy warmth to the dish.
I recently made this dish as a side to serve alongside a big batch of slow cooker lamb curry. It would also work great as a side dish for a roast beef or chicken, some glazed pork chops, even grilled shrimp or burgers. It’s easy to put together, it’s tasty and it’s full of potatoes. What more can a girl ask for?
Making warm potato and green bean salad…
The first step is to roughly chop your potatoes and get them in a pot of salted water to boil. Since they are already small potatoes, it should only take about 15 minutes or so for them to cook through and become tender. You don’t want your potatoes to be too mushy, or they won’t hold together in the salad, but you should be able to easily grab one with a fork.
PRO TIP: While chopping up your ingredients ahead of cooking, try and make sure to cut your potatoes and green beans roughly the same size. This will help make sure everything is coated evenly in the vinegar and spices. Plus it makes the salad easier to eat.
While your potatoes boil, sauté up the rest of the ingredients. Start with onion and garlic. Once those get soft a fragrant, add in your green beans along with the curry powder, ground mustard, and a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
After a few minutes, add in the white vinegar and use a wooden spoon to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan (SO much flavor there). Simmer the mixture a few more minutes while the vinegar reduces.
Once your potatoes are cooked, drain them and let them cool down slightly. Then add the potatoes and the green bean mixture to a bowl and toss together along with some fresh dill. You can also add in fresh chopped cilantro to the salad, or garnish with it on top.
Let me know if you give this Warm Potato Green Bean Salad a try! I love to hear from you in the comments, or tag me on instagram @eat.think.live and let me see your creation! Plus, you can check out the rest of my recipes HERE.
Warm Potato & Green Bean Salad
- 2 Heaping Cups Baby Yukon Gold Potatoes Chopped (1-2 inch pieces)
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 Yellow Onion Chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 Heaping Cup Green Beans Chopped (1-2 inch pieces)
- 2 Tsp Curry Powder
- 1 Tsp Ground Mustard
- Salt & Pepper To taste
- 1 Tbsp White Vinegar
- 2 Tsp Fresh Dill Chopped
- Add the potatoes to a pot of salted water and bring to a boil. Cook for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender but not mushy.
- Meanwhile, add olive oil to a skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes until soft and fragrant. Add the green beans, curry powder, ground mustard, salt and pepper. Sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the vinegar and keep sautéing another 3-5 minutes until the green beans are soft but still crunchy. Remove from heat.
- When the potatoes are cooked, drain and add to a bowl along with the green bean mixture and the fresh dill. Toss to combine everything and serve immediately.