Make the season come alive with this bright and fresh spring pasta. Packed full of seasonal veggies and crisp, green herbs…it’s healthy, it’s delicious, it’s everything you want on your dinner table right now.
Fresh herbs meet spring vegetables in this pasts favorite of mine. I love making any kind of pesto…you can throw practically any combo of herbs and spices in the food processor and whip up magic. This one in particular packs the punch of parsley, basil, dill and mint, with walnuts, lemon juice and Parmesan to round out the flavors.
It’s so tangy and creamy once it gets coasted all over freshly cooked pasta, and sautéed asparagus and mushrooms. You’ll want to eat eat the whole pan…and I say go for it.
There is one important step you don’t want to forget, and that’s to save some of your pasta water. The chef approved trick will help smooth out your sauce, and make sure it clings to each and every noodle. You won’t need much, but save more than you think you’ll need so you can add and test until you get the perfect pasta.
Spring Veggie Pasta with Herb Pesto
For the Pesto
- 1 cup whatever fresh herbs you have (I used basil, parsley, dill, mint)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup walnuts (or pine nuts, or whatever you like)
- 1/2 cup parmesan
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- About 1 cup olive oil
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
For the Pasta
- 1 pkg. noodles of choice (I suggest penne)
- 1 onion diced
- 1 cup mushrooms diced
- 2 cups asparagus chopped small
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil water and cook your noodles according to package instructions — but stop cooking and drain just before they are fully cooked. MAKE SURE TO SAVE AT LEAST A CUP OF PASTA WATER.
- In a food processor, combine all the ingredients for the pesto except the olive oil. Put on the lid, but remove the insert, and slowly stream in olive oil while you pulse the mixture until you get the desired consistency, like a thick sauce.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add the olive oil and onion and cook until soft and fragrant, about 3-4 minutes. Add the asparagus and cook another 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook another 2 minutes.
- Lower heat to low. Add in the drained pasta and pesto and stir to combine. Splash in a little pasta water until you get a creamy consistency you like.
- I like to serve with more fresh grated Parmesan on the side, and more fresh herbs!