Lasagna is such a comforting classic. It’s hearty, it’s delicious, it fills you up in more ways than one. Make it even lighter, by swapping out meat for fresh spinach and earthy mushrooms. You won’t want to go back.
Lasagna has quite a few steps to get it just right… but they’re pretty simple, and boy is it worth the reward. When that hot, bubbling, cheesy pasta comes out of the oven, my mouth waters and I forget all else. I love this recipe because the spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes and spices create such a dynamic and delicious flavors. Plus you’re packing in even more greens and nutrients into your meal.
I even sometimes go for the reduced-fat ricotta and mozzarella if I want to be extra conscious, and this makes for an even more guilt-free classic. You can’t go wrong with hearty spinach and mushroom lasagna. Simple ingredients, simple steps, amazing results.
Spinach and Mushroom Lasagna
For the Tomato Sauce
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 2 cups mushrooms chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh spinach chopped
- 1 handful fresh parsley chopped
- 6 basil leaves chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Ricotto mixture
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1 cup spinach blanched*
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
For the Lasagna
- 1 pkg lasagna noodles
- 2-3 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
Make the Tomato Sauce
- Heat a deep skillet over medium high heat. Add olive oil, onion, bell pepper and garlic. Sauté until soft and fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, oregano and paprika and sauté another 3-4 minutes or so.
- Add the tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, spinach, parsley, basil and salt and pepper.
- Simmer the mixture for 15-20 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
Make the Ricotta Mixture
- Combine all the ingredients for the mixture in a bowl and stir until combined. (See note about spinach).
To Assemble Lasagna
- Preheat Oven to 450F
- Cook lasagna noodles in a pot of salted boiling water for about 5-8 minutes. You want them just before al dente.
- Transfer to a colander to drain and run under cold water to stop cooking. While it’s running, use your fingers to gently separate the noodles.
- In a 9×13” baking dish (coated with non stick spray) add a ladle full of sauce and spread around the bottom.
- Lay a layer of noodles in the pan (I use 4 length wise and 1 width wise).
- Spread half of the ricotta mixture over the noodles.
- Add a layer of tomato sauce and sprinkle a handful of the mozzarella.
- Repeat with another layer of noodles, ther rest of the ricotta, sauce and mozzarella.
- Add a third layer of noodles and top with the remainder of the tomato sauce.
- Spread the rest of the mozzarella and the parmesan cheese on top of the lasagna.
- Bake for about 45 minutes until the lasagna is golden brown and bubbly all over.