*Note: I actually wrote this post back in 2014 if you can believe it…back at the very beginning of my blogging days. But this recipe still holds and I’m feeling quite nostalgic.
You all remember fluffer nutters right? Globs of peanut butter and gooey marshmallow cream slathered between two slices of bread. The sandwich of my childhood (PB&J’s are just so boring in comparison). Well, while scrolling through Pinterest, I stumbled upon a recipe that brought back the good ole days, with a twist: Fluffer Nutter chocolate chips bars!
That’s right. Delicious and chewy dessert bars filled with peanut butter, marshmallows and chocolate chips, baked to perfection.
So I found the inspiration for this recipe on a blog called Back for Seconds! (I’ve since tweaked the recipe since then). It was a fairly simple process, and didn’t take longer than half an hour to make! A few suggestions: make sure you really soften your butter, don’t just half ass it. It will make the mixing process a lot easier.
Don’t be alarmed if your batter is thicker than you thought it would be. I had to really work with it, and eventually I just started mixing it directly with my hands – a trick I learned from my mom – which actually seemed to work the best!
I let them bake for a little bit longer than 20 minutes, but that might have just been my oven. When in doubt, the toothpick trick never fails.
They came out warm and golden after about 25 minutes. I let them cool for a while after I sliced them (and took pictures of course). And let me tell you, DELICIOUS. The peanut butter and brown suger/butter combo is absolutely perfect, the marshmallows smooth out the texture, and the chocolate chips add the perfect richness. You can bet I had seconds.
- 1 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup peanut butter creamy
- 3/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 3/4 cup regular sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 12 oz chocolate chips (Usually about 1 pkg from store)
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- In a mixing bowl or stand mixer cream together the butter, peanut butter, and sugars.
- Add the eggs and mix again. Gradually mix in salt, baking soda, and flour just until incorporated.
- Gently mix in marshmallows and chocolate chips.
- Spread into a greased 9×13″ pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned on the edges. The center will jiggle slightly from the marshmallows but it will set after it cools – do not over bake.
- Cool completely and cut into squares. Store in a tightly sealed container.