King Ranch Casserole is a southern Tex-mex favorite. Creamy chicken gets combined with tomatoes, peppers, green chilis and corn tortillas. Whole thing is smothered in cheese and baked to perfection. It’s a weeknight recipe favorite.
And the best part about this recipe is that it’s totally pantry-friendly. It’s one of the rare times I will turn to cream of chicken and/or cream of mushroom soup (both in this case). For some reason, those two Campbell’s staples paired with the veggies and spices just seems to work some magic. Our grandmother’s may have been the queens of semi-homemade generation…but they knew a thing or two.
My version in particular comes passed down from my Grannie, with a few tweaks here and there (I like to add more veggies!). This dish is gluten free and ready in under 30 minutes. Enough said.
King Ranch Chicken Casserole
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 lb cooked chicken breast cut into tiny pieces**
- 1 can diced tomatoes and green chilis
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 10 corn tortillas
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese freshly grated
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a baking or casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a deep skillet over medium-high heat, add the butter and sauté the onion, bell peppers and celery until soft and fragrant (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in the spices and add the chicken and cook another minute.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes, cream of chicken soup and cream of mushroom soup.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently to make sure everything is combined.
- Line the bottom of the casserole dish with corn tortillas***
- Spread half of the casserole mixture over the tortillas, and then sprinkle half of the cheese over the top.
- Repeat another layer using the rest of the tortillas, mixture and cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.