Honestly, there have been no rules in the kitchen lately…and we’ve been doing what feels comforting, and what brings us some joy in the midst of all the uncertainty right now. But one thing that we always go back to every few weeks or so without fail, is a fresh, cleansing, veggie packed soup. This Kale and White Bean soup recipe never fails when that time comes.
This soup is super healthy, packed with protein-rich white beans, and nutrient dense kale. A base of chili pepper, lemon zest and garlic bring bright and tasty flavors throughout the whole dish. It always turns out to be so filling every time I make it. But the fresh ingredients make it a perfect soup to turn to no matter what time of year.
This soup is a great one to make ahead during your meal prep, and it freezes really well if you’re like us, and can’t eat a whole pot at once. We’ll store half of it, and have another round a few weeks later. It literally always hits the spot.
Kale & White Bean Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp lemon zest (about half a lemon)
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 2 carrot sticks diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can navy beans drained
- 1 can Great northern beans drained
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 handful chopped parsley
- salt & pepper to taste
For the croutons
- sliced bread of choice
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 450F
- In a large pot, add the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the garlic, lemon zest and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the onion, celery and carrots, plus a little salt and pepper, and cook another 3 minutes or so until soft and fragrant.
- Add the drained beans and chicken (or veggie) broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, add the kale and parsley and simmer soup for about 15 minutes or so (don’t need to cover).
- While soup simmers, slice your bread into 1 inch cubes and spread out in a baking sheet lined with foil and coated in non-stick spray.
- Drizzles some olive oil, and sprinkle salt, pepper and Parmesan all over the cubes. Toss to coat.
- Toast in the oven for 5-10 minutes until crunchy and browning. Watch them closely so they don’t start to burn!
- Taste your soup and adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve the soup in bowls with extra Parmesan, fresh parsley and croutons on top.