Between coronavirus fears and spring allergy season, this is definitely the time to focus on immunity. There are a ton of herbs and spices that help your body become a better fighter… and what way to pack them into your daily diet than with a delicious, warm and comforting soup.
This soup is grain and there-fore gluten free. It’s full of juicy pulled chicken, and packed with spice from jalapeños and ginger. Fresh lemon and parsley give it a fresh bite, while sage, oregano, turmeric, thyme and coriander work in the background the provide flavor and protectants.
The best part about this recipe though, Is that it makes way more broth than you need for the soup! After straining the liquid and completing the recipe, you can store the rest of this soup in mason jars or a container to add to other soups, stews and more in the future…. or to just sip on later for an extra boost.
Immunity Chicken Soup
- 1 whole chicken innards removed
- 1 onion half roughly chopped, half finely chopped
- 4 celery stalks (chop 2 of them finely, 2 into large chunks)
- 4 carrots (chop 2 of them finely, 2 into large chunks)
- 6 cloves garlic (2 of them minced)
- 3 jalapeños halved and de-seeded (1 finely chopped)
- 1 large knob of ginger peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 large lemon cut into thick slices
- 1 handful of parsley
- 1 handful of thyme sprigs
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 handful of sage
- 1 handful of dill
- 1 tbsp whole coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- LOTS of salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 cups baby spinach
- In a large stock pot or Dutch oven, add the chicken, roughly chopped onion, chunks of carrots and celery, 4 whole garlic cloves, lemon slices, fresh ginger, 2 jalapeños, parsley, thyme, oregano, sage, dill, coriander, fennel, red pepper flake, turmeric and salt and pepper.
- Pour enough cold water over it to cover everything. Put the lid on, bring to a boil, and then simmer for another 45 minutes to an hour.
- Remove the chicken, and shred with a fork.
- Remove the larger chunks from the broth and pour the whole thing through a fine mesh strainer to remove the impurities and other solids.
- In a new pot, add the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the remaining finely chopped onion, celery, carrot, garlic, jalapeño and the ground ginger. Sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken to the pot, along with the spinach and about 6 cups of the broth. (Add 1-2 cups of water to thin out and dilute the soup to your taste.) Add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Simmer the soup for 10-15 minutes. Let it cool and store!