There are few things that speak true southern comfort to me more than a homemade peach pie. Juicy, tart and sweet fruit snuggled inside a flaky buttery crust, makes for a decadent summertime staple.
This recipe comes straight from my Grannie to you. A true Texas lady, she’s been perfecting a pie crust for decades and it was a special moment when she passed these instructions down to me. It couldn’t be easier to make if you follow the few steps precisely. And it’s made even simpler, because you can use a food processor to cut the dough. This crust works perfectly with this peach pie recipe, but it’s a go-to pastry recipe for any pie galette you’re craving.
This recipe post is broken down into two parts. First is the standalone recipe for homemade pie crust. Below that is a list of the simple steps to make this particular peach pie.
My crust recipe…straight from Grandma
Homemade Pie Crust
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter (two sticks) really cold!
- Roughly 1 cup ice water
- Cut your butter into small little cubes. Put the cubes in a bowl and stick in the freezer for 5-10 minutes. Add water to a bowl with ice cubes to start chilling as well.
- Combine flour and salt and frozen butter in a bowl. Using a pastry cutter (or a food processor works too!), cut the butter into the flour until it forms a crumb texture. (This should only take a few pulses in the food processor).
- If using food processor, pour out crumb mixture into a bowl. Start adding 1 tablespoon of ice water at a time to the mixture, and use your hands to combine until a dough comes together. You should probably need somewhere between 5-10 tablespoons of water. Don’t overwork the dough, stop as soon as it comes together and there’s no more flour on the bottom of the bowl.
- Sprinkle flour over a clean, flat work surface and pour dough out. Use a floured rolling pin to flatten the dough to the shape and thickness you want. Place 1 layer in a greased pie pan.
- Add your filling to the pie, add the top layer of crust (or cut into lattices or shapes first). Bake in a 375F oven for at least 45 minutes until your crust is golden brown on top. **SEE NOTES**
For Homemade Peach Pie…
- You can use fresh or frozen peaches for this recipe. You need about 3 cups worth.
- If using frozen, rinse them off in a colander to remove excess ice.
- If using fresh, let your peaches drain for a little bit after slicing to remove excess juice…maybe pat dry a little.
- In a large bowl, add 2 tsp of cinnamon, the juice of half a lemon, and 1/2 cup of arrowroot powder (or cornstarch). Mix it all until everything is combined and coating the peaches.
- Pour the mixture into your pie crust, add the top crust.
- Bake at 425F for about 45-55 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.
- You’ll probably have to tent the edges of the pie with foil for the lasted 20 minutes or so, to make sure they don’t burn.