You really can’t beat this classic combo. Gooey, cheesy, buttery goodness…dipped in a warm, fresh, tangy tomato soup. A forever lunch staple. You know the saying – if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
We all need simplicity in our lives right now. We need to feel good… and that means giving in to our cravings sometimes. Last weekend I got a craving for one of my favorite old-school lunch combos, a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup. I went totally classic, using lots of butter (I am not a mayo person when it comes to grilled cheese), and slices of good ole American cheese. Yum. It was everything I wanted it and more.
The soup is totally no fuss as well. A can of tomatoes, dried herbs and spices, and a splash of cream at the end to smooth things out. Perfection.
All you need is 20 minutes for a comforting lunch that’ll make you feel like a kid again.
Grilled Cheese Sandwiches & Tomato Soup
For the Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- 8 slices your favorite sandwich bread
- About 4 tbsp butter softened
- 8 slices American cheese
For the Tomato Soup
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 28oz. can peeled whole tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 cup half and half (or heavy cream)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Add all the ingredients for the soup, except the last two, to a pot over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Lower heat, and use an immersion blender to purée the soup until smooth.
- Stir in the half and half and salt and pepper, and simmer for another 10 minutes before removing from heat.
- While the soup is cooking, butter both sides of each slice of bread. Build each sandwich with 2 slices of cheese in each.
- Add remaining butter to a skillet or small pan and melt over medium-low heat.
- Add the sandwiches one at a time. Cook for about 2-3 minutes on the first side, then flip and cook another 2 minutes or so on the other side. Keep flipping the sandwich back and forth until your sandwich is browned like you want it and the cheese is melted.*
- Repeat the process for each sandwich, and then serve alongside heaping bowls of soup!