If you ask me, we all deserve a big heaping plate of French toast EVERY weekend, especially right now. This hearty brunch dish is sweet, filling, and melts in your mouth.
I also firmly believe that French toast isn’t complete without a generous drizzle of maple syrup and a sprinkle of powdered sugar. Even better if you’ve got some fresh fruit jam on hand to spoon on top. You can find my recipe for easy homemade strawberry jam here.
This breakfast and brunch star comes together so fast, and it technically is healthy, in a way 😉
It combines two morning staples, eggs and toast, all in one, for a perfect protein-carb balance. It’ll take it.
Add some crunchy bacon and a hot cup of fresh coffee, and Saturday morning is complete.
French ToastPrint Recipe
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 slices thick white bread*
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the eggs, half and half, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt unti, well combined.
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat.
- Place the slices of bread into the mixture one at a time and coat both sides with the egg mixture. Place directly in to the pan.
- Let the slices cook on the first side for at least 3-4 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side for another 3 minutes or so. When both sides are golden brown, transfer to a plate to cool.
- I like to serve with some pure maple syrup, a sprinkle of powdered sugar, and a spoonful of homemade jam.