I don’t know about you guys, but I am so excited it is finally October. This is my absolute favorite month. The weather, the produce, the sights and smells of the changing season, the fall festivities in full swing, the Halloween spirit. Despite everything that’s happened this year, and how fast time seems to move, this is the best time of year, and it’s worth savoring it as much as we can.
For me, that means getting cozy as much as possible. There’s already limits on what we can go out and do right now. On top of that, there’s so much running through my mind. Between keeping up with the news (which is frankly exhausting), planning ahead for this holiday season, and trying to stay ahead on my never-ending todo list (anyone else feel me?)… lately all I wanna do is curl up under a blanket, light a candle and slooowwwww down.
I think we all deserve to slow down a little and soak up the little things, whatever that means to you right now.
For me, that means my fall decor is out on full display, I’ve got a list of Halloween movies to work through in the next few weeks, not to mention and full slate of fall inspired recipes to share with you all. And this weekend, my fiancé and I are heading out to a farm outside Seattle for some good old-fashioned apple picking (and also cider donuts, which, let’s be honest, is really the main reason we’re going).
What plans are you making to make the most of the season this month?
Some things to chew on…
- The Presidential election is exactly 1 month from tomorrow. Somehow that doesn’t feel real, but it is. And so many things are at stake. I’m not going to say too much here. You watched the debate this week… and if you didn’t you most definitely heard about it. You know what’s going on in the news. We all know how important this is. What I will say is this: Make sure you’re ready to vote, and check in on your people. If you want to brush up on the issues, The Skimm has a fantastic resource for that, along with any other election related info you’re looking for.
- We’ve got a major plastic problem. And by we, I mean the planet. Whether or not we want to face it and do anything about it, the consequences are real, and they are getting worse. That’s why this story got me so excited and hopeful. Apparently, scientists have created a new super-enzyme that can basically eat plastic and help quickly breakdown materials to be recycled. This breakthrough could totally revolutionize how we recycle and help majorly reduce landfill pollution. Clink the link above to read more.
- As we get closer to Halloween, you might start seeing more and more purple pumpkins adorning front porches around your neighborhood this year. There’s a reason for that, and it has to do with covid. Apparently, this new trend is to help kids and parents determine which houses are safe for trick-or-treating this year. That means masks will be worn, social distancing will be in place, and individually wrapped candy will be available. Concerns about the pandemic (and warnings from the CDC) have got a lot of people on edge about how to do Halloween in a safe way this year. This is just one way people are coming together to try and make the best of the situation while keeping everyone comfortable and protected. So be on the look out for purple pumpkins, and make sure to put one on your front porch this year if you want to be part of the trick-or-treating tradition.
Some fun foodies news…
- Not so fun, but remember all the wildfires that have ravaged the west coast this year (and still are)? Well it turn outs this could spell bad news for the wine industry in years to come. This article dives into how the fires have tainted vineyards on the west coast with the taste of smoke and ash, and how that could potentially ruin this year’s vintage if winemakers aren’t able to mitigate the effects. But even that’s not as bad as the growing number of vineyards that have been totally destroyed by wildfire.
- Here’s something consider before the next time you go to Subway. Apparently the chain’s bread has so much sugar in it, that one country ruled it can’t legally even be called bread. Read more here.
- If you feel like you’ve been waiting longer in the drive-thru line lately…you’re probably right. That’s because fast food drive-thrus are more popular than ever these days. And you can thank the pandemic for that.
And a few treats to leave you with…
- This fall season, I have a feeling we’ll all be embracing those curl up on the couch vibes even more that usual. Grab the remote and get cozy with this list of 27 Good Shows on Netflix This October That Pair Perfectly With a Hot Drink and Fuzzy Socks.
- And now that it’s officially October, it’s time for all things Halloween. Starting with this roundup of the 65 best Halloween movies.
- Okay, I did not realize just how extensive the secret menu at Starbucks was… especially when it comes to fall-themed treats. Check out this whole lineup of creative concoctions you can order this season. I’ll be trying the Caramel Pumpkin Macchiato and the Fall In A Cup ASAP. Oh, but not included on the list — this new Nightmare Before Christmas Frappuccino that looks so creepy for Halloween.
Did you like something in particular from this newsletter? Or did you see a story out there that I should know about? Please reach out and let me know!