I’ve been doing a lot of things to keep myself busy and motivated and SANE during this pandemic. Obviously a lot of cooking, and a lot of writing. And also a lot of other fun and random things in between (for example, ordering an acrylic paint set off Amazon so Avu and I could paint along with Bob Ross 😎). A lot of other DIY has been going on as well… bread, jams, even mop solution (can’t find Swiffer anywhere! 😩) Inevitably, I decided to go ahead and try a DIY face mask.
I was a little hesitant. The last time I did a DIY mask was at a birthday party when I was 12… and the moment I put the oatmeal and banana on my face, I hurled. Seriously!!
BUT, I’ve come a long way since then…and I have come to love the benefits of so many other natural products and habits that I have incorporated into my life. So what better time than now.
And I’m pleased to say that I loved it! It was fun, it didn’t cost me a dime (already had it all in my kitchen!) and I’m really happy with the results.
You don’t have to go far to find a gazillion recipes and ideas for DIY masks to target any skin condition under the sun, from acne, to dryness, to scars, and more.
A do-it-all super mask formula…
I’m a kill-two-birds-with-one-stone kind of person when it comes to most things. I like to get the maximum amount of benefits out of my self-care practices, which includes my supplements and beauty products of course.
So I decided to mix up a multi-vitamin mask, if you will. I used avocado, Greek yogurt, honey, turmeric and lemon juice.
- Avocado contains healthy fats that moisturize your skin.
- Greek Yogurt is also moisturizing, and contains lactic acid that helps clear away dead skins cells.
- Honey is a natural purifier for the skin! And also helps moisturize.
- Turmeric contains so many great properties! It purifies the skin, and is also an anti-inflammatory and an antiseptic that leaves your skin with a refreshed glow.
- Lemon juice is an astringent that helps clear your pores, and also contains vitamin C which helps even skin tone. It doesn’t hurt that I love the scent too!
The result was a very bright green color, which scared the dogs (and Avu) a little. 😜 I thought it was going to be cold…but it felt great going on my face and it was easy to apply.
I let it sit and dry on my face for about 20 minutes (during which I highly recommend sipping on a glass of red wine).
Then I rinsed it off with warm water, and patted my face dry with a towel. My skin felt extremely refreshed and extremely soft afterwards, and my face looked bright.
I followed up with the tail end of my usual skin care routine, applying moisturizer and a healthy dose of Rose hip seed oil and went to bed feeling like a princess.
After this whole new and improved experience, I’ve decided that I love DIY face masks as another way to show myself a little love using 100% natural ingredients. Plus with all the different combos to try, I’ll definitely be doing this again.
OTHER DIY FACIALS TO TRY:
- Greek yogurt + Oatmeal + Honey (purify skin, fight dryness, treat acne)
- Banana + Egg + Honey (lots of vitamins; use yolk for oily skin, white for dry skin, and all of the egg if you’re somewhere in between!)
- Apple Cider Vinegar (natural toner!)
- Citrus juice (orange & lemon) + Turmeric + Avocado (Brighten skin tone, fight inflammation)
- Papaya + Aloe Vera + Chamomile Tea (for glowing, hydrating and soothed skin, great after a long day at the beach!)
Let me know if you give one of these a try by tagging @eat.think.live on Instagram!