Truth: not all soups are created equal. Some just can’t help but stand out from the rest, when they are super healthy, super easy to make, but yet packed with flavor as well as vitamins and minerals to nourish our bodies…while also totally filling us up. This coconut curry lentil soup just happens to be one of those standouts.
This champion soup recipe comes together in under half and hour and is 100% vegan and gluten free. Lentils are the star, bringing protein and fiber, while the coconut milk adds comforting creaminess to compliment the bold curry spices. You can also mix up the veggies in this soup if you want, making it more spring or fall friendly. No matter the season, this is the perfect dish to curl up with.
Coconut Curry Lentil Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 heaping tbsp curry powder
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can coconut milk (shake before you open)
- 2 cups lentils (I used gray-green lentils for this recipe)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 handful cilantro chopped
- 1 lime
- Add olive oil to a deep pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions, carrots, celery and bell pepper until soft and fragrant (about 5 min).
- Add all the spices, plus a generous pinch of salt and pepper, and stir in the tomato paste.
- Add the coconut milk, veggie broth and lentils. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
- Take off the lid, stir in the cilantro and squeeze the juice from the lime into the soup. Taste and add more salt & pepper if necessary.