This recipe is a lunch favorite of mine. Bowls in general are the rockstars of meal prepped lunches — easy to whip up in large batches, and the options are endless. Being from Texas, I’m always down for something even remotely hinting of Mexican flavors… so this black bean and quinoa taco bowl has been on my list a lot lately. It’s vegetarian, but full of protein, and the creamy avocado dressing on top is oh so heavenly.
Black Bean Quinoa Taco Bowls with Avocado Dressing
- 1 bag mixed greens of your choice
- 2 cans black beans drained
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper
- Veggie toppings of your choice (I like to use tomatoes, cucumbers, corn, bell peppers and green onions
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 avocado
- juice of 1 lime
- handful of cilantro
- 1 clove garlic
- salt & pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients for dressing in a food processor and blend until smooth, set aside.
- In a small pot over medium heat, combine black beans, cumin, coriander, chili powder, garlic powder and salt and pepper. Simmer until heated through and the spices are dissolved, about 5-10 minutes.
- When ready to assemble — in the individual bowls, add greens, then cooked quinoa and black beans. Top with chopped veggies of your choice.
- Add dressing, and garnish with chopped cilantro, crushed tortilla chips and/or a lime wedge if desired.
You can also keep your veggies totally separate if you want, and heat the black beans and quinoa in the microwave before building your bowl.