I love a good creamy chicken salad. It’s a filling and tasty lunch staple all year long. Plus it’s easily customizable. Which is good, because chicken salad caaan be pretty unhealthy when it’s made with a ton of mayo.
Cue my lighter, healthier version of chicken salad. This one swaps out the mayo for some creamy Greek yogurt and a whole avocado (healthy fats + added nutrients!).
And it’s not lacking in flavor either. I use a little mustard to give it a tangy little kick. Finally, fresh fresh parley and dill help brighten everything up.
This avocado chicken salad is great to have on toasted bread as a sandwich, to throw over greens in a salad, or simply munch on with your favorite crackers and raw veggies. Plus, the recipe makes for a quick and easy meal prep option.
It all starts with the chicken.
This recipe is super simple to make, and can be made even easier depending on the chicken you use. You want shredded chicken for this recipe. You have a few options.
If you have some leftover roasted or grilled chicken that isn’t overly seasoned, that works great. Just shred it or chop it up into small pieces and you’re good to go.
You can get shredded chicken canned at the store (which I don’t recommend — it’s not fresh and it has added sodium). You can also make your own shredded chicken at home. Just boil a large chicken breast in some well-salted water for 15-20 minutes until it’s cooked through. Then drain the chicken and shred it with a fork and let it cool before using it.
Alternatively, my favorite thing to do is use a store-bought rotisserie chicken. It’s well-flavored, super juicy, and already cooked for you. Just shred the meat off the bones and rip up the larger pieces. A whole rotisserie chicken will yield a lot more shredded chicken than you need for this recipe, but you can save the rest in another recipe, add to a soup or toss on a salad for lunch.
Making avocado chicken salad
Once you’ve got your shredded chicken ready to go in a bowl, add in some chopped carrots and celery, along with chopped fresh cilantro and dill. I HIGHLY recommend using fresh herbs as opposed to dried. The flavors will be so much brighter and really pop in the avocado yogurt dressing.
In a separate bowl, mix up the ingredients for the avocado Greek yogurt dressing. I use a whole avocado, and mash it up before adding some Greek Yogurt, a little bit of mustard, garlic powder, onion powder. Of course don’t forget some salt and pepper (at least a teaspoon).
Once your dressing is combined and everything is smooth and creamy, add it to the chicken and veggies. Mix it all up until everything is combined.
Then grab your favorite dippers and dig in!
Creamy Avocado Chicken Salad
- 1 Cup Shredded chicken breast
- 1 carrot stick finely diced
- 2 celery stalks finely diced
- 1/3 cup greek yogurt
- 1 avocado pitted and peeled
- 2 tsp Yellow mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 Tsp fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tsp fresh chopped dill
- salt & pepper to taste
- ***If making your own shredded chicken, add breast to boiling water and cook for 15-20 until chicken is cooked through. Drain the chicken and shred with a fork. Add to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the carrots, celery, parsley and dill to the bowl with the chicken.
- In a separate bowl, add the avocado and mash. Add the Greek yogurt, mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Stir until everything is totally smooth and combined.
- Add the yogurt avocado mixture to the chicken and veggies and toss until everything is combined.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for several days.