This Apple Spice Superfood Smoothie is the perfect seasonal powerhouse to help get you through the winter months. It’s loaded up with fresh apples and warm spices, plus a handful of nutritional superfoods to help you look and feel your best, even when the weather outside is frightful. And there are TWO different ways you can make it! This smoothie is great in the fall and winter, but you can get these ingredients and enjoy any time of year. It’s so good for you, and tastes even better.
My fiancé is not a big breakfast person. He’s not into heavier foods that early, and he’d probably skip the meal altogether on most days. And while he’s certainly not alone in his attitude towards breakfast, it’s sometimes hard for this foodie and recipe blogger to deal with (especially when our fridge is usually packed with my leftovers ingredients!).
So we’ve become a big smoothie house. It’s one of the easiest things to whip up in the morning that *everyone* is excited about eating (or sipping). Plus it’s a great way to pack a ton of nutrients into one small meal. And we try to stay as seasonal as possible when it comes to the produce and ingredients we include.
This fall, after our trip to the Apple Orchard, I dreamed up this Apple Spice Smoothie in my quest to use up several pounds of of the fruit that we’d lugged home. There were Apple Cider Chicken Wings, there was an Apple Cider Loaf, even Apple Pie Baked Oatmeal. It made sense to use some of those same flavors in a smoothie. Throw in some extra greens and a few superfoods, and the result is my new favorite smoothie of the season.
What’s in this Apple Spice Superfood Smoothie?
- Apples: The doctors recommend this fruit for a reason. It’s packed with healthy fiber, vitamins and minerals, and a ton of antioxidants. Apples can improve everything from heart health to neurological function to your skin condition. Plus they have a juicy, sweet and tart taste, making them perfect for flavoring up a smoothie.
- Spinach: I feel like you gotta have greens in a smoothie if you can. It’s such an easy way to add some extra nutrients. And spinach works so well in this smoothie because it sort of hides behind all the other bright flavors, even while lending such a fresh green color. Spinach also contains lots of vitamins, especially Vitamin K, which is essential for bone health, along with magnesium, iron and folate.
- Ginger: One of nature’s ultimate superfoods. The list of ginger’s health benefits is almost endless. Ginger is known to aid in digestion, making it a great addition to a morning drink. It can also help improve blood sugar, heart health, fight infections and even ward off the common cold. Plus, it’s sharp, sweet flavor blends beautifully with the apples and other ingredients in this smoothie.
- Turmeric: When to comes to turmeric, follow the history. This spice has been used for centuries in Asian cultures for its medicinal properties and incredible health benefits. It’s known for its anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties. But it can also help improve brain and heart health, keep your skin clear, and may even help fight depression. You can’t afford not to have turmeric in your diet. And this smoothie is an easy way to add a dose to your morning.
- Cinnamon: This spice is another one that has been widely used for thousands of years — like turmeric, it also contains powerful anti-inflammatory properties, along with a ton of anti-oxidants. Furthermore, cinnamon has been shown to help balance blood sugar, prevent fungal and bacteria infections, and may even help prevent cancer. Plus, cinnamon is one of the ultimate fall/winter spices, used to make everything from mulled drinks to holiday desserts. It adds so much warmth and spice to this Apple Spice concoction.
- Nutmeg: Just a hint of nutmeg is added to this smoothie to really punch up the spice levels and warm up the flavors. But even a small amount offer some health benefits. Nutmeg has been shown to work as a natural pain reliever. It can help with indigestion, blood circulation and brain function. Nutmeg is also a natural detoxifier and can boost your skin health.
- Lemon: These fruits are packed with vitamin C, which can help you maintain soft glowing skin, and help keep you from getting sick this winter. Lemon also can help aid digestion, and prevent kidney stones because of its mild diuretic properties. A little bit of lemon juice in this smoothie also helps brighten up the flavors, making for a balanced sweet and tart taste in the end.
- Kombucha: This brewed concoction has become one of the trendiest health items in recent years. It makes such a great addition to this smoothie, both for it’s benefits and taste. Kombucha is loaded with probiotics, which help feed your gut with good bacteria. That bacteria aids in a range of health functions, including digestion, inflammation and even weight loss. Plus Kombucha comes in so many yummy flavors these days, you can customize this smoothie with whatever you like best. I use apple or apple cider flavored Kombucha for the recipe, because it helps really drive home the apple flavors. But I think ginger or lemon Kombucha would also be really delicious in this drink.
- Chia Seeds & Ground Flax Seeds: These are totally optional to add to your smoothie in terms of flavor, but they provide such a big nutritional boost. Both are are high in protein, dietary fiber and Omega-3 fatty acids, along with a range of other nutrients. Chia seeds are also packed with antioxidants. One thing to note here – it’s better to go with ground flax seeds rather than whole, as it is easier for your body to digest and absorb the nutrients in that form.
Two ways to enjoy Apple Spice…
After dumping all the ingredients I mentioned above into your blender, there are two different ways you can finish off this smoothie, depending on what you like.
My favorite way to top this smoothie off is with cold pressed apple cider. It’s so bright and juicy and adds the perfect amount of sweetness. Really drives the Apple Spice flavor home.
However, even without any added sugars, apple cider has a high natural sugar content. If you’re looking to avoid that, you can also top this smoothie off with almond milk and take things in a creamier direction. If you’re using unsweetened Almond Milk, I recommend adding a little bit of pure maple syrup or honey to the smoothie.
Whatever liquid you choose, start by adding about a cup to your blender. Add more liquid gradually if you need to until the blend achieves the ideal smoothie consistency for you. Then pour straight into glasses and enjoy immediately!
PRO TIP: If you want to make this smoothie really cold, you can pour it into a frozen glass for serving. Alternatively, add some crushed ice to the blender along with your other ingredients.
Let me know if you give this Apple Spice Superfood Smoothie a try! I love to hear from you in the comments, or tag me on instagram @eat.think.live and let me see your creation! Plus, you can check out the rest of my recipes HERE.
Apple Spice Superfood Smoothies
- 2 Medium Apples Peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 Cup Spinach
- 1 Tsp Fresh ginger Peeled and chopped
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice (about 1/2 a lemon)
- 1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Tsp Ground Turmeric
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1 Cup Apple or Apple Cider Kombucha*
- 1 Tbsp Chia Seeds (optional)
- 1 Tbsp Ground Flax Seeds (optional)
- 1 Cup Cold Pressed Apple Cider (optional)
- 1 Cup Almond Milk (optional)
- 1-2 Tbsp Pure Maple Syrup (optional)
- Option 1: Add all the first 8 ingredients to a blender, along with its the chia seeds and ground flax seeds if using. Add the cold pressed apple cider. Blend until the smoothie is totally smooth and there are no chunks. Serve immediately.
- Option 2: Add all the first 8 ingredients to a blender, along with its the chia seeds and ground flax seeds if using. Add the almond milk to the blender, along with 1-2 tablespoons of maple syrup depending on how sweet you want it. Blend until the smoothie is totally smooth and there are no chunks. Serve immediately.